Essential Functions (major duties & responsibilities):
- Provides meaning-for-meaning interpreting.
- Follows MBD interpreter protocols as per MBD training, policies, and procedures.
- Follows all MBD policies and procedures related to information confidentiality and interpreter ethics.
- Attends all required training for interpreters, such as training by the MBD Quality and Development Department.
- Continuously improves vocabulary and specialized subject matter knowledge, as required for various clients, such as medical, legal, social services, etc.
- Maintains confidentiality as per MBD Interpreter policies.
- Uses standard office equipment such as telephones, computers, copiers and fax machines.
- Uses MS Office applications such as Outlook, Word and Edge (or another internet browser).
- All employees are required to perform the following essential functions: demonstrate predictable, reliable, and timely attendance; follow written and verbal directions and complete assigned tasks on schedule; read, write and communicate in English; communicate in person and by telephone.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Fluency in English and the target language.
- Skilled at communicating, both orally and in writing in English and target language.
- Basic understanding of linguistics and different cultures.
- Skilled in adjusting to rapidly changing circumstances.
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work independently and skilled at exercising initiative within the parameter of company policies and procedures.
- Exceptional commitment to confidentiality as per MBD Interpreter policies.
- Skilled at keeping supervisors informed of problems or issues.
- Skilled in establishing and maintaining effective work relationships.
- Skilled in Microsoft Office, including Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Internet Explorer (or another internet browser).
- Ability to operate competently common office equipment including, but not limited to computer, fax, copier, and telephone system.
Requirements (May consider less than 3 years if certified)
- 3+ years of professional interpreting experience
- Interpreter certification or Interpretation training courses
- Authorized to work in the US
- High school completion or equivalent
- Proficient in English and target language, as determined by our Language Checkup assessment
- Remote Position – must reside in the US
SKILLS AND CERTIFICATIONS:
- Proficient in English and Cantonese
- 3 years experience or certification
- High School completion or equivalent
- Security Clearance Required: No
- Visa Candidate Considered: No