Sr network engineer
The Senior Network Engineer is responsible to develop and maintain the design and integrity of our nationwide retail data network. This role is responsible to plan, design, integrate and provide operational support of network technologies. The candidate must have the ability to develop project roadmaps, plan and implement project timelines, establish test plans, and recommend and implement new technologies. Additional responsibilities include direct work with vendors, operational users, and IT personnel in a cross team capacity; defining network requirements; and identifying and documenting network policies, standards, and best practices.
- 5+ years of extensive technical engagement in large scale enterprise or service provider IP networks.
- Knowledge and experience with IPv4 and IPv6 numbering schemes, aggregation and allocation. Experience with deploying a dual stack IPv4/IPv6 environment a plus.
- Knowledge and experience with dynamic routing protocols such as OSPF and BGP and best practices for availability and performance. Experience with Juniper MX routers preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with internet architectures including multi-homing with ISPs, traffic engineering through manipulation of BGP attributes and best practice in peering.
- Knowledge and experience with datacenter switching technologies such as spine/leaf, multi-chassis aggregation and link aggregation.
- Knowledge and experience with IPsec, encryption protocols, and best practices with site to site VPNs.
- Proficiency with network analysis tools such as Wireshark.
- Must be able to correlate and analyze network packets and understand application performance and incidents.
- Proficiency in at least one cross platform scripting language such as python, bash or perl.
- Understanding of security best practices, forensic investigation and defense in depth.
- Ability to diagnose complex network problems and find the root cause.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills including the ability to translate complex technical concepts into clear, jargon free language.
- Establish and implement ‘best-practice’ standards as well as departmental policies and procedures and insure they are well understood and staff is trained in following them.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline.
- Minimum 5 years of experience working with network infrastructure or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Expert or professional level technical certifications such as CCIE/CCNP or JNCIE/JNCIP highly desirable.