Project Manager in the Capital Projects vision is “to be the most innovative and responsive transportation agency in the region”. Position will support a multi-discipline, multidepartment and multi-agency team in the initiation, execution and close-out of our most complex, highly visible capital improvement projects and programs.
- Supervise, coordinate, and monitor the planning, design and construction of complex, highly visible capital projects and programs to ensure client objectives are met and project documents are in accordance with approved standards.
- Lead a multi-discipline, multi-department and multi-agency team in the initiation, execution and close-out of our most complex, highly visible capital improvement projects a nd programs
- Prepare, monitor and control a detailed scope, schedule and budget for each project
- Prepare, negotiate and administer agreements and contracts with consultants, client groups, other city departments and outside agencies; prepare and implement Public Information and Risk Management Plans
- Prepare monthly budget and schedule status reports for management
- Make project presentations to government officials, community groups and other project stakeholders
- Lead and facilitate design teams through various phases of developing projects including documentation and recommendations for process improvements.
- Maintain project schedules using available scheduling software
- Evaluate and manage the complex funding aspects of projects
- Manage community expectations on projects; facilitate and oversee the work of construction managers and contractors
- Participate in the negotiation and review of contract change orders
- Develop project lessons learned.
- Supervise and mentor assigned Project Managers and other design and support staff within the department.
- Provide policy recommendations and guidance to the management team.
- Assist in development, support and implementation of business process improvements.
- Assist in assessment and implementation of Best Management Practices in order to achieve its primary goal of delivering transportation capital Projects on time and within budget.
- Lead efforts in updating, implementing and maintaining the division’s Project Delivery Manual.
- Commitment to working in a multi-cultural work place and customer base with an emphasis on communication for cooperation, collaboration, inclusiveness, anti-racism and pluralism.
- Support department goals in promoting diversity and social justice.
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Four years of progressively responsible experience successfully managing complex public works or private development projects. Experience must include oversight of projects in design and construction.
- Equivalent of Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, or plus Four years of progressively responsible experience successfully managing complex public works or private development projects or an equivalent combination of education and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the position duties. Experience must include oversight of projects in design and construction.
- Proficiency in using MS Word, MS Project, and MS Excel with experience using project management software.
- Demonstrated written communication skills, good oral communication skills, and leading public involvement processes.
- Demonstrated capability to actively manage multiple projects and monitor and maintain the progress of schedules to meet milestones and budget expenditures.
- May be required to work nights, evenings, weekends, and holidays and in all types of weather.
- Ability to effectively work in a multi-cultural workplace with a diverse customer base
- Professional Civil Engineer Registration in the State of Washington and a Project Management Professional Certification is highly desirable.
- Experience on highly complex and controversial capital transportation improvement projects for a governmental agency including coordination of projects during construction.
- A working knowledge of governmental ordinances and guidelines applicable to construction.